Images above, from Valerie's fieldwork in China, are Copyright Valerie Hector 2011-2013. All Rights Reserved.
Please do not reproduce in print or digital media without written permission. Thank you.
Selected Publications Written (or Co-edited) by Valerie Hector:
- Craftspeople In Their Own Words. Edited by David Bacharach, Valerie Hector, Ken Girardini, and Susan Levi-Goerlich. Cokeysville, MD: Craft Community Press. (Digital version, $9.95, published on Amazon.com on May 6, 2016. To order the digital book on Amazon, click here.) To order a copy of the hardcover book for $49.95, please visit the book page of the CERF website here.
- Bead Netting and Plaiting Techniques in the Peranakan World, by Valerie Hector. Beads: The Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers Vol. 28, pp. 66-91. To view this article online, courtesy of Beads Editor Karlis Karklins, please click here. To purchase a copy of Beads Vol. 28, with all profits used to further bead research, please visit the Society of Bead Researchers website.
- Review of Beads from Germany: Idar-Obarstein, Lauscha, Neugablonz, by Floor Kaspers. Amsterdam: Marblings Publishing, 2016, by Valerie Hector. Beads: The Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers Vol. 28.
- Chinese Bead Curtains, Past and Present, by Valerie Hector. Beads: The Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers Vol. 25, pp. 40-71.
- Review of Zhongguo gudai zhuzi (Chinese Ancient Beads) by Zhu Xiaoli, Nanning, Guanxi: Guangxi Fine Arts Publishing House, 2010, by Valerie Hector. Beads: The Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers Vol. 25, pp. 101-104.
- Twentieth Century Chinese Glass Bead Curtains, by Valerie Hector. Borneo Bead Conference Journal, pp. 79-100.
- Proceedings of the International Conference on Beads and Beads 2013, Istanbul, Turkey. Edited by Jamey Allen and Valerie Hector. Istanbul: Kadir Has University.
- The Art of Beadwork: Historic Inspiration, Contemporary Design, by Valerie Hector. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications.
- The Maturing of a Medium: Contemporary Beadwork in Europe and America, by Valerie Hector. Surface Design Journal 2(3), pp. 6-11.
- Doubling Up: South African Double-Faced Weaves (co-authored with Alice Scherer). Beadwork 1(3), 22-26.
- Prosperity, Reverence and Protection: an Introduction to Asian Beadwork, by Valerie Hector. Beads: The Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers 7(1995), pp. 3-36.
- Master Class: Polygon Weave and Its Variations, by Valerie Hector. Ornament 21 (2), pp. 67-70.
Selected Publications that reference Valerie Hector and/or her work:
- Style Makers and Makers of Style. American Craft, Sept/Oct., pp. 79-85.
- One of a Kind: Independent Designers are Making their Mark in the World of Jewelry Making, by Tammy Lytle for USA Today. American Life: Women’s Health, Spring/Summer, p. 67-68.
- The History of Beads from 100,000 B.C. to the Present, by Lois Sherr Dubin. Second revised edition. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 2009.
- Craft Picks: The American Craft Exposition Celebrates 25 Years of Uniting Collectors with the Creations They Covet, by Abigail Foerstner. North Shore 32 (8), pp. 5, 99-101.
- These Hands Tell a Story: 25 Years of Handcrafted Art. Evanston, IL: The Auxiliary of NorthShore University HealthSystem at Evanston and Glenbrook Hospitals.
- Masters: Beadweaving, Major Works by Leading Artists, by Carol Wilcox Wells. Ed. by Ray Hemachandra. Asheville: Lark Books, Inc..
- The Art of the Bead: Four Unique Approaches to Beadwork, by Gerry Davies and Tina Wojtkielo Snyder, in MJSA Journal 3 (9)pp. 28-36.
- An Interview with Valerie Hector, by Michelle Mach. www.beadingdaily.com, July 24.
- Bead artist, bead scholar: Valerie Hector balances the demands of two callings, by Pam O’Connor, in Bead & Button, August, pp. 110-114.
- 500 Beaded Objects: New Dimensions in Contemporary Beadwork, by Carol Wilcox Wells. Asheville: Lark Books, Inc.
- Valerie Hector, by Deborah Krupenia. American Craft 61 (2), April/May, pp. 62ff.
- The Smithsonian Craft Show 2000, by Diane M. Bolz. Smithsonian 31 (2), pp. 6, 91.
- East Meets West, by Jan Shepherd, The Boston Globe Magazine, Nov. 28, p. 56.
- The Very Fiber of Her Being,” by Lynda McDaniel. Lapidary Journal 53 (3), p. 26 ff.
- 1994 Exhibition in Print. Metalsmith (cover).
- The Year of the American Craft, 1993. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
- The New Beadwork, by Kathlyn Moss and Alice Scherer. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
Above: images of beadwork from Valerie's 2016 article "Bead Netting and Plaiting Techniques in the Peranakan World." (Article may be viewed at no charge by clicking the link provided at the top of this page.)